Thursday, May 8, 2008

Healthy Decisions

Work has been tough. Last night I got notice that our expected source for a work visa was no longer a possibility. Now we're not sure how we're going to stay in the country past August when our current visa expires.

When it was time to sleep, I couldn't. I went downstairs and thought about going to the kitchen and getting lots of food. It was weird. I wanted to eat as an emotional response, but my heart just wasn't in it. I didn't want to eat my way through the pain and frustration. I wanted to stay healthy and make healthy choices. I had a drink of water instead.

Within 30 minutes or so, I had gotten more tired, went upstairs and drifted off to a good night's sleep.

It's hard to explain how important this shift is for me. My old pattern would have been to eat and let negative junk thoughts swirl in my head for half the night. Instead, I have a sense of peace about the changes, I've made great choices in response, and I feel hopeful and excited about the future.

I have to let others own their decisions and I need to own mine. Lesson learned.

1 comment:

Mike said...

That's a fantastic reaction (foodwise) to a very stressful situation. Excellent progress ... Shows real strength ... just as impressive as any strength or progress shown 'athletically'. I feel proud to be following your progress.

I hope the visa problem gets sorted ... quickly :) Good Luck!