Monday, May 5, 2008

Headin' down the road!



I just got back from one of my fastest bike rides in awhile. I was reading someone's blog the other day about increasing their run time by doing 2 minute intervals of speed and recovery. I thought I'd apply it to my bike ride today. I would do 2 minutes between 22 km/h and 27 km/hr and then increase the speed to 27 km to 33 km. Each time I did the sprint, I had to "kiss" 33 km/hr before I could settle into the 2 minutes between 27 and 33.

On most bike rides I average around 23 km/hr. A couple of months ago I did a metric century (100 km) and averaged 25 km/hr which was incredible for me. Today, over the hour ride I averaged 27 km/hr which is one of my highest continuous speeds ever. That translates to 16.75 miles per hour.

That's pretty smokin' on a mountain bike!

It's amazing to think that 8 months ago a 5 km ride at 10 km/hr was a big stretch and exhausting! I've been marveling today at how incredible God made the human body. For my body to be able to transform from a couch potato to an athletic form over an eight month span is amazing!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Excellent speed ... especially on a mountain bike with big tyres. You'll be sooooo fast on a road bike! You won't be kissing 33km/hr - you'll be there all the time :)

Sounds like a good plan ... I might try it if I ever get back on my bike. Concentrating on running till the half M is out the way.

Great progress! Keep it up ...