Sunday, May 11, 2008

10k on the 10th

Today I took part in a virtual 10k. No... a virtual race doesn't mean that I run it in my mind :-) It just means that we all run it where we are. We map out our course, time ourselves, and set out on our adventure. Afterwards we post our race reports so we can share in the recaps. Promoted by Nancy "Notes of a Non-Runner", a number of people have signed up to run. It's my first "official?" 10k race!

I got up at 5:30 am to get this show on the road. The temperature here has been so hot lately, I wanted to escape the heat of the day. After getting dressed and a bit of water, I set the Ipod and started my warm-up walk. For the walk, I kept feeling something in my shoe. I'd stop, shake it out, still something. I'd stop, take off my sock, turn it inside out, shake it out, still something. Finally on the fourth attempt I found a small hard grass in the fabric on my sock. Thankfully, I got it out before the run!

At the "start line", which I'd set using Google Earth as the student noodle shop, I started my run. I wanted to start slightly slower and build into the race. Normally, I run about 5k, so this was a double distance for me and I knew I'd need to pace myself a bit. I ran past the temple to the lake and began running through the university gardens by the lake. Passing fisherman wading in the water with their nets, I passed the thermometer on the far side of the lake at 6:17 am. I wasn't even 1/4 into the race and I was not sure I'd make it. I kept my heart rate between 135 and 150 figuring that would be a bit of a push for me but keep me in a zone that I could maintain.

I circled the lake and entered the gardens for a second time. Now I was beginning to get a pace and feel a bit strong. I was at the half way point and was beginning to believe that I could do a second half.

One thing I've been working on is using my feet/calves for greater pushoff. My running always used to be plod, plod, plod with my legs doing all the work and my feet/calves not that engaged. By pushing off on each stride, I find that I'm more "bouncing" along, feeling lighter, and with a literal "spring in my step". I think it's helped me go from dreadfully slow to just really slow. Moderally slow will be my next goal!

As I circled the lake the second time, I was gettng my second wind. I took a right away from the lake, passed the River of Life orphanage and headed back to the Pongprabaht waterfall road. Running along this road toward home I was getting excited. I would alternate between mind drifts to a focused enthusiasm. I still had my "spring" in my step and during the last 1K picked up the pace just a bit more.

I crossed the "Finish Line" at the head of Tannapoom at 1 hr 16 minutes, which is a personal record! The miles were 12:20 miles, which is really slow but MUCH better than dreadfully slow! I'm beginning to believe that moderately slow is really possible!

Thanks Nancy for hosting the virtual 10K. I really enjoyed running "with" you.



Here's me after the race!

5 comments:

Paul Tedder said...

Congratulations William! I have no idea what a virtual 10K is. I thought maybe you just ran it in your mind. If so, I am definitely up for one of those...

I see it wasn't from your post though. You looked like you could have run another 5K based on your picture!

William and Cindy Haynes said...

That's so funny! I hadn't thought of that but have now added a bit at the beginning about what a "virtual race" is. Thanks for the picture comments... I will admit though, that was after 30 minutes, a shower, and 1/2 a cup of coffee!

It was a lot of fun. It will be fun reading other runners reports from the "race".

Andrew is getting fit said...

Great race report! I'm hoping to participate in Nancy's next one!

Mike said...

Great idea! ... and a great effort. What was your average HR btw??? :)

Nancy said...

Hey William, great picture!! Thanks for running with us. So glad you found us. Full Race Report to follow!!

Nanc