Saturday, May 24, 2008

Chiang Rai Triathlon Race Report

This was really quite a new thing for me. As this was my first organized triathlon since I was 22 years old (23 years ago), I was quite nervous. It was also my first triathlon as a race organizer. Thankfully, we ended up with 11 participants which made using the 6 lane pool quite easy and it really came off without a crazy effort.

This morning I got up at 5:30, got some breakfast and got my things together. googles...check!, bike/run shorts...check!, heart rate monitor...check! Swimsuit on and ready to go...check! Car battery... no check. Oops! I left the lights on during the wild torrental downpour last night and the car wasn't going anywhere! Thankfully a fellow participant, Paul Wilcox came by in his pickup truck and got me, Emily, and the boys.

We headed up to the pool, picture below...



I gave the instructions that we were going to share a lane with a 1 minute staggered start. Two people per lane. Lane assignments were given and volunteers to help keep count with the swimmers. We all gathered for a photo...



and then jumped in and waited for the start...



once the race started the pace was a bit frantic at first. Even though I had told myself to start slower and calm, it was really incredibly different once the race began. I looked over to see Brent flying past me at the start and my logic went out the window. I pushed and tried to pick up the pace a bit...



The other day I set a PR of 21:11 for the 750M and today I wasn't able to break it. I finished with a 21:35 which was great (no complaining from me!) but I was disappointed that wasn't ever able to get in that smooth pace that I'm able to find in practices sometime. I swam 10 or 11 of the laps in crawl and the other 4 or 5, I did side stroke and worked on regaining my breath. The swim kinda went like one fairly smooth length (50M), followed by one slightly and increasingly frantic and breathless length, followed by one sidestroke recovery lap. Then I repeated that five times and 21 minutes 35 seconds later the 750M was over...



I thought it was awesome to be finished and not be last! I was actually third in the swim and able to cheer in another 8 participants. Everyone did great and the number one swimming did it in 14 minutes 2 seconds!

After the swim, we piled into cars and headed to my house to grab the bikes...



We lined up on the street and got ready for the second start...



And the bike leg started! I was going 36 km/hr before I was even out of our neighborhood. Quickly, several packs developed. Brent and Phil headed out on their super spiffy road bikes and took the lead. The second pack was me, Antoine, and Greg. We pushed each other for the entire 20 km, switching the lead often. The Thailand sun was starting to beat down and I had to drink a bit of water, or I knew I'd be in trouble later on. We powered around the lake, then through the village and out to the temple at the base of the mountains. We turned around, went out to a waterfall and then turned around for the sprint home. I was pushing myself harder than I ever remember cycling and was rewarded with a new PR average of 28.3 km/hr for the ride. I was behind Antoine and Greg for the last 8 km until the last 2 km. I decided to push for broke and was able to get on by Greg but Antoine still finished a couple of seconds ahead of me. I finished the 20 km in 42:13 and I was spent! Here's a great picture of my daughter, Emily, on the cycling leg...



Now for the hard part. The run. This is now officially my weakest leg of the triathlon. My swim time actually was reasonable. My cycling is at a pretty good clip. My running is still slow and steady as molasses.



The steady part is good... especially after a big push on the bike leg. I remember thinking that it really would not look good if I died during the race. Then I told myself, "at least you'll die fit". Then I thought, "How can you be fit if you're dead?" Then I realized that my mind was wondering some bad places. Several of the volunteers and supporters...



rode the course on motorbikes or vans and trucks and yelled encouragement, passed us water, and also took my t-shirt because I was BURNING up! By the mid-point of the run, I was realizing that the end was possible. I wasn't going to die but would succeed without having to walk. I kept the slow and steady molasses pouring as I headed toward the finish. Before long I saw the faces and heard the cheers and raised my arms in triumph...



and crossed the finish line with a run time of 39:01 and a total time of 1:42:49. It was such a relief to see Stefanie, the timekeeper and my wife Cindy (Stefanie-seated, Cindy-standing) marking the end of the race...



I was so excited to finish and then I got to see others come in. Here's a great picture of my daughter finishing with Janel Ylauan and all the kids that came to run alongside them during the home stretch...



We then got together for the post-race photo...



What an amazing race! It was a lot of fun, tough, laid back, and challenging at the same time. After the race we hung out and had brunch together...



What an incredible experience on several levels! I want to thank so many on SparkPeople and in Blogger who've encouraged me and cheered me on. It's hard not to think back to September 1st of last year when I weighed 359. This morning, before the race I weighed 244... 115 lbs less than 9 months ago! Not only that but I just finished a triathlon and hit a goal of mine... To be mid-pack! I wasn't first or second, and that's ok. But I was 6th out of eleven participants in this group of fit people who wanted to do a triathlon. There were lots of firsts for me. It amazes me that in February, I couldn't swim 50M without stopping. Last September, I couldn't run to the end of our neighborhood, much less on through the gates for another 4.5km. Last October, a 8 km ride at 12 km an hour was a big workout. Today, I was going full out for an hour, forty-two minutes and forty-nine seconds!

I want to thank God who has been so gracious in helping me recover from my obesity. I want thank my wife who has been an encouragment, cheerleader, workout buddy, running partner, lover, and friend. I also want to thank all those in cyberspace (you know who you are), who comment on my blogs and send encouraging emails. I am awed by so many who are on this journey of health... facing similar struggles and challenges and working their way through. You inspire me!

2 comments:

Mike said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim Wilson said...

Great job!! That was a fun read, I am sure it was even more fun to participate.